Saturday, May 30, 2009

Krav Maga


Krav Maga. The name in Hebrew means "hand-to-hand combat". It is not a martial art by traditional standards but has taken many techniques from martial arts.

Techniques generally focus on training combatants in conditions approximating real-life scenarios, situations where losing would be potentially fatal. Its attack and defense techniques aim to neutralize the threat and facilitate rapid and safe escape. These include a variety of fast and fluid crippling attacks to vulnerable body parts through various efficient and often brutal strikes.

Krav Maga is the official self defense system of the Israeli Defense Forces, and has been taught to US Special Ops, British Special Forces, hundreds of law enforcement agencies and thousands of civilians in the US.

Why am I blogging about Krav Maga? Because I take classes. I am a runner, I run a lot alone, often in the dark. I need to know how to deal with an attacker. Unfortunately there are bad guys out there. I'm a realist. I have a family. I want to survive an attack.

Plus it's a killer aerobic and anearobic workout. In a few short weeks my upper body and core strength has improved drastically. I'm fit, I run insanely long distances but I'm bad about cross-training and this is really helping me. It's fun. Where else do I get to beat the crap out of a guy twice my size? (Dr Laura would love that comment!).

So, check it out at Zen Dojos Martial Arts Studios in San Juan Capistrano. Sensei Paul is an amazing instructor. Zen Dojos is a great studio. Krav Maga and martial arts are a great way to get in shape. Don't worry you won't get hurt - we use pads and protective gear but the idea is to practice techniques at full strength and experience the impact you would feel when getting hit.

I work there too.... stop by, say "hi" and try out a class.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Hey Rachael, how are you? Good luck at SD100. I hope you have a great run there. My good friend and running buddy will be running there too. Her name is Suzanna Bon. Introduce yourself to her if you see her. I will watch for your race report.