Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Momentary Lapse of Reason....


Back in Jan/Feb of this year, I followed Greg Hardesty's adventures in Costa Rica as he competed in The Coastal Challenge Route of Fire 6-day adventure race. I was totally in awe. So when my good friends Kristen and Maya asked if I was interested in the 2009 race, I jumped at the chance (actually, I first ran it past my hubby and when he didn't immediately say "no", I signed up that evening).

2009 event: The Coastal Challenge, Rain Forest Expedition Run taking place Feb 1-6, 6 days, 225-250K.

Location: the course is set along Costa Rica's tropical Pacific coastline but weaves at times into the Talamancas, a coastal mountain range in the Southwest corner of the country. It finishes near the border of Panama in a serene fishing village that until recently was only accessible by boat.

Terrain: jungle and rainforest trails, mountain trail and single track across ridgelines, highlands and coastal ranges; beaches, rocky outcroppings and reefs, river and estuary crossings, and ends in Corcovado National Park, one of the premier rainforest experiences in the world as well as a Unesco World Heritage site.

What DID I sign up for? I mean.... I'm a Mom, I have responsibilities; a part-time job, soccer-practice, homework, family life. How am I ever going to be ready for an event of this magnitude?

No comments: